View Single Post
Old 2004-08-01, 02:24 AM   #43
Monkey Spanker
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

Send a message via ICQ to Monkey Spanker
I never said that US law would apply to non-US citizens. The domain is US though and governed out of the state of Virginia for the US as is .net and .org so the domain itself would fall under US jurisdiction for 2257. non-US webmasters are free to do as they please as long as it abides by their countries laws but they might have to do it with a non US domain.

Ultimately the US controls the internet wether anyone likes it or not.

"The United States controls the root-file because the A-root-server is located in the United States and thus precluding other governments from physical access and NSI Verisign, which physically controls the root file is contractually obligated to secure written approval from the Department of Commerce before adding any TLD's to the root. This all gives the United States the power to threaten a country with the prospect of taking away all of it's domain names."

"ICANN, located in California controls the DNS and allocates IP's to regional internet registries, but still needs the defacto approval of the US to do so."

I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like they can pretty much do what the hell they want to when it comes to domains.

ADULT NETWORK
Monkey Spanker is offline   Reply With Quote