View Single Post
Old 2004-06-30, 05:18 PM   #36
xxxlaw
Aw, Dad, you've done a lot of great things, but you're a very old man, and old people are useless

Just a bit more on my way out the door . . .
The whole issue of who is a person who "produces" is the key to solution of the question of the validity of the secondary producer issue. Congress says 2257 only applies to a producer, and it largely defines a producer in negative terms of who is not a producer - and though its language is torturous, it seems plain to me and plain to at least the Tenth Circuit that someone with no connection with the images except purchasing them from a middleman as already made is not the kind of person that Congress meant to include. This is a very complex - and dangerous issue - and I've always advised compliance by webmasterwith the secondary producer requirements even if its legitimacy is a matter of some legal doubt. Get the records and have nothing to do with original producers who won't give you the records.

Glad to read Paul M.'s comments. I've seen his excellent 2257 records supporting his excellent content as I've done 2257 reviews for clients.