View Single Post
Old 2008-08-19, 10:55 AM   #22
cd34
a.k.a. Sparky

FPL has actually kept our power on. I opted not to put the hurricane shutters up, and, Fay's eye is amazingly about 60 miles away. Early predictions put it at 120 miles at its closest. As a result, we're getting about constant 60mph winds and the attic fan vent has been pounding for hours. I'd say we received about 14" of rain last night and we had a possible tornado about 2 miles from here last night that destroyed a horse barn that made the front page of our local paper.

Simon, when I was looking at the tide tables, it appears that Fay crossed right over you pretty close to high tide. Though, it doesn't look like Fay had enough strength to cause much of a storm surge.

Cleo, did you use FPL's web application to report the power outage? They spent hundreds of thousands putting that together before someone said - hey, if they don't have power, do we expect them to be able to access the web? Now with cell phones able to surf the web and all, they could pawn it off as good planning.

In looking at Fay's track, this weekend in Orlando should be ok. Based on their forecast, it seems that it will be hovering over Jacksonville while you're here, and the storm doesn't appear to be large enough to keep affecting Orlando as its backside seems clear. But, FanTC, their revised track has it headed your way.

Sue, it seems your weatherman was right.

Hopefully everyone will have a good Tuesday.