View Single Post
Old 2006-06-06, 10:57 PM   #1
SexycityBrian
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

How do you deal with spammers?

Ok we just had the unfortunate experience of having a spammer sign up for our program and start spamming. His account was quickly terminated and so he started sending out massive spam email with direct links to our program. These are the steps that I took.
1) contacted the guy and told him to quit, he responded by saying that the day after we terminated his account that another spammer was sending out the emails with the direct links to make him look bad.
2) responded to hundreds of complaints mostly webmaster because the spammer was using a webmaster mail list.
3) requested copies of the emails with full headers. ( after getting a few I decided that the spammer was using remote computers via a trojan to send the spam)
4) contact the ISP's and inform them what was going on and requested they contact their customer and let them know there computers may have trojans running on them and I also included links to a free antivirus and adware remover (AVG and Lavasoft Se Personal).
5) I kept copies of all the emails and icq messages for our hosting company so they could see how we dealt with the problem.

Ok now the only real information that we have for the guy apparently is his epassporte account everything else is fake as far as I can tell.

Now I was just wondering if I missed anything that we should have done. I know that our program was not the only one that was hit by this guy. So what did anyone else do or what would you have done if you had this problem.

Brian
SexycityBrian is offline   Reply With Quote