Thread: Building a PC
View Single Post
Old 2005-11-26, 03:00 AM   #11
biftek
If something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak English

well i would be saying that its the motherboard that has the ram issues , not the amd cpu causing the problems , never in my life have i ever come across that problem , i do know that some motherboards do have issues with some brands of memory sticks

tomshardware , well When it comes to THG when doing AMD versus intel reviews, I wouldn't really rely on the information that they give, as they are a little biased,There hasbeen allegations that THG get paid for good reviews

of course if your cpu has no fan the thing might go up in flames , however any sensible person would have the bios set to the thermal shutdown

1200 pc's in an hour , averaging 3.5pc an hour quite a job , you should go get a job at dell on the assembly line , you'd put all the asians out of a job

amd vs intel , its just another one of those wars where no one wins

Intel CPUs run faster (more clock cycles per second). AMD ones run slower and do more work per clock cycle. The PR thing (Performance Rating) is just AMD's way of showing what the equivalent P4 is. Generally, it's very good (if AMD say it's a 3400+, it will beat a P4 3.4Ghz in most things). (video encoding needs a high clock speed and not much else).

as for being stable, depends on what you are doing with the comp, if you leave it stock then it wont have any problems at all. A factory spec nissan GTR should last decades but then a 1000HP GTR may have problems going down the street to get bread and milk.

AMD are not more prone to Thermal malfunction. This all came about because of people putting inadequate thermal solutions on older non retail box processors

I have never had an AMD CPU malfunction because of heat. I did once have a Athlon Thunderbird 1400MHz that I forgot to plug the heatsink fan into. THe CPU reached about 140 degrees Celcius. I burnt my fingers on the copper heatsink. I waited for it to cool down, took it off, looked at the scorch mark on the CPU, plugged it all back in , and the processor continued to work for the next 12 months until I sold it to a friend as a cheap system

Basically this doesn't happen any longer, like Intel, the motherboard manufacturers of AMD boards have implemented the same thermal shutdown function. AMD processors also have on die thermal probes giving more accurate temps etc

lets no forget that a good decent motherboard and ram also helps out alot , can have a top of the range amd/intel but with a crappy motherboard and ram you'll be suffereing a major bottleneck

in the end , all it comes down to is how far your budget can stretch
biftek is offline   Reply With Quote