View Single Post
Old 2005-06-29, 03:31 PM   #39
tickler
If there is nobody out there, that's a lot of real estate going to waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna
The idea of our privacy laws is to protect ME the individual...to give me a say in where my personal information is dispursed and the right to refuse dispursing it. So the US government cannot make me post my personal information. Of course they can make all of you stop dealing with me if you are seen as not following the rules if you do.

Now on a technical note... if someone were to have issue with our handling of their records...they are to first complain/ask questions of us (the business in question) then if they are not satisfied with the removal of the records or the rectification (be there any) then they can go to the privacy commission with their complaint. This is so new I am not aware of any complaints that have gotten this far.

One of the more noticable changes has been in the visa slips you get in a restaurant/store etc...they must have ***** where numbers should be. Other then that I have heard of few changes that were driven by complaint...most people who gather personal information (such as your doctor or health care facility) already have HUGE ASS standards to protect confidentiality and so this new law did not cause much problem.

The real reason this law is now in place is because of list sharing...example signing up at your cable company and not knowing that the cable company shares your personal contact information with anyone who wants to buy it (this is meant to reduce all forms of spam on and offline)
PIPEDA is pretty much a standard now for any systems design. So personal information at an employer goes into a personnel file. The employer is not allowed to turn around and share it with an outside company.

Notice also on all the gov't forms they tell you exactly which DBs the info will be stored in.That way the police do not access to the tax records without a court order.

The main test so far has been in BC where personal information was being outsourced to the CDN subsidary of an American company. The court ruled that the only way to handle it was to have the CDN subsidary placed in trust so that the gov't could assume control if the US parent was being forced by the US gov't to diclose information under the Patriot Act or similar. It also allowed for fines up to $35 million, and other penalties. Seems to have become a standard in case law all over the commonwealth.